Saturday, August 29, 2009

SJVA, my growing place


I will start with a little bit of history of my attendance at SJVA for the people who don't know me that well. In 2005 I became one of 16 freshman students to the teachers of Mr. Okeke, Ms. Fox, and later Mr. Wharton at the academy. Then later throughout the years, our class was finally weeded out into the weird, creative, and involved kids that I graduated with. These people are like my brothers and sisters and the relationship we share with our teacher, ourselves and faculty is unique and beautiful. I have much hope in the following senior class of next year 2010. With all the sacrifice I put into Invisible Children I expect a very large involvement and success within this year. I am writing this to share my love and appreciation for IC and help you understand what is in store for you.

First off I want to thank you for your past involvement and helping me with all of my struggles all around. If it wasn't for people like Nicollette, Alex, Jonathon, Nate, Kevin, Boenzi, Burgo, Ward, Romeril and many more I would not be where I am. One of the most important things I have learned since being here in San Diego, through training and booking, is that relationship is the most important in IC. Staying true to their mission statement. " We are a social, political, and global movement using the transformative power of story to change lives," and this transformation is what drives me to wake up every morning at 6:00 AM to go to work and later come home to 60 people working and staying up till 1:00 AM in the morning to finish booking and studies. I am working this hard because I believe in something. Something that is bigger than me. I am not living a completely radical lifestyle because it's really fun, or it will be a great experience but the reason is my life is meant for a lifestyle filled with sacrifice, love, and impunity. The Invisible Children of Northern Uganda are not the people in harms way, and are not the only human beings suffering in this world. America is one of the most socially confused country in this world. Sure we have wealth, money, and security backing us up. But really what are we doing? Life is about serving, not taking for ones own selfish gains. Invisible Children the company, whether you know or understand it or not, changes lives in not only Eastern Africa, but the very people in America. I have personally been affected by this change and it is a wildfire spreading throughout the youth of America. We are the future for this world, and as Ghandi says, "Be the change you wish to see in the world".

I am showing you me true heart in this letter to help you better understand my reasoning and MY understanding of our potential as the youth of America. It is imperative that all of you feel deeply connected to what I say in order to understand many things. One, your importance in this world is more than you might think. All around are people who will grow up, hopefully become successful people in life. They will have, luxury beauty, and security. Then what? This is the cycle of life and unfortunately life is lived in this boring dogmatic way. But I have SEEN this new truth to life. A man by the name of Tom Shadyack, director of many films including Ace Ventura, Liar Liar, dragonfly, and many others came to San Diego CA to give us a speech on how great it is that we are roadies. Our cause is fluently respected among many people and we need to stay courageous throughout our journey. He is a pretty crazy guy, but I respect him and his beliefs very highly. He got me to think way more than I have ever experienced before and I appreciate that. The purpose of his trip to San Diego was to get us to justify ourselves why we are here and what the hell we are doing for 5 months. Also he wanted to explain to all 60 people why we are so different and why WE can make a difference in this world because we believe that there is change necessary "and it takes a crazy bunch of people to change the world, in fact its the only people who do" -unknown author.

This year I believe that SJVA has a good chance of winning the trip to Africa. I see some of the roadies that won the trip and they are great people. I can't believe how much people change through this jouney and I can't wait to hear all the good news about SJVA's progress with not only IC but in general. So on the last note, thank you for reading and giving away your time. Because remember time is precious, nothing can take that away, except you. Become yourself, let the not you die with the change in your life, and most of all become a humble serving human being... And all will be well.

Thank you and I love you all,
Penner

No comments:

Post a Comment